My Dad's name was Edward James Ludvik. He was born on August 3, 1888, the third child of Martin and Albina Ludvik. Chicago was his birthplace, too.

Dad was forced to quit school in the 8th grade when his father took sick and couldn't work to support the family. Dad and his oldest sister, Anna, got jobs and whatever earnings they got went to support the family. Dad worked in a cigar box factory and never went back to school after that. Whatever jobs he had after this one I do not know. When World War I broke out he was drafted and served in the Army for a couple of years. His rank was "Wagoneer" or a soldier with the caissons which hauled heavy artillery. He saw very little action as Armistice was declared just when he arrived in France so was shipped back to the States almost right away.

After coming home from the Army he got a job as a street car conductor on the Chicago line and remained with this job for 36 years. He was forced to take an early retirement when street cars were taken off and replaced by buses. His eyes were not good enough to pass an eye test to drive these buses and the conductor's job was eliminated. He took a menial job with a furnace factory for a few years before being eligible for a full retirement.

From 1926 to 1929 he owned and operated a small hardware store on 26th Street in Berwyn. Since he still worked on the street can and could be at the store only evenings and Saturdays, he hired his sister-in-law, Tillie Hloucal, to manage the store full time throughout the week. This was during the Depression and the hardware store business folded and Dad was forced to sell out.

Dad stood about 5'8" tall. He was slender built in his younger years but got rather heavy as he grew older. His hair was almost jet black but he began to lose it quite young and had only a fringe in the back later in life.

He was a man who loved to putter and make things and for a time raised canary birds as a hobby. He built a large cage in the basement and had about 50 birds at one time. He and his brother, George, who was in this hobby with him, were going to make a little extra money by selling the birds and painted a sign to put in the front window advertising the birds for sale. After all the words on the sign were carefully measured, blocked and painted, they found they had misspelled Canaries putting in an extra letter "r" to make the word "Carnaries". A job well done had to be redone with the correction.

Dad married Mary Josephine Hloucal on July 5, 1919 and they were married for 25 years before she died. After Mother passed away Dad stayed widowed for a couple of years and then married a woman by the name of Jenny. They were married only three years when she passed away. He lived alone again for a couple of years and then married for a third time to a Frances.

Edward passed away after several heart attacks on July 18, 1957 and is buried at Woodlawn Cemetery in Oak Brook, Illinois.

Mary Josephine Hloucal was my Mother. She was the second child born to the Hloucal family on December 8, 1890, in Chicago. When she was about eight years old her family moved to Rocky Ridge, Wisconsin, where they homesteaded. Because this was virgin country and deeply wooded, the land had to be cleared and the children had to help with this heavy work. There were no schools built here yet for a while so there was no opportunity to go to school, and after a school was provided the children still did not attend very much. For one thing they had the work at home to do and the severe Wisconsin weather prevented them from walking the great distance in the deep snow and cold in winter. Mother had only a fourth grade education but learned to read and write quite well.

When Mother was old enough to leave home, she went to Chicago and got a job as a house maid for some wealthy families. She worked at this until she met and married Edward James Ludvik on July 5, 1919. She did not work outside the home after her marriage but did all the housework, cooking, sewing, laundry, etc., and caring for her husband and children.

Mother was about 5'6" tall. Ever since I could remember she was a little on the heavy side. When she was young her hair was auburn brown but it turned pure white during her illness before she died.

In 1941 she was diagnosed to have breast cancer and had a double mastectomy in February of that year. Three years later her illness came back and after much suffering all summer she passed away on October 8, 1944. She is buried at Woodlawn Cemetery in Oak Brook, Illinois.



My only sister, Mary Edna Ludvik Howard, was born in Chicago on July 23, 1923. She was three years younger than I and we had many good times growing up together. She enjoyed her childhood as I did and we remained close friends all our lives.

Mary went to the same Jan Amos Komensky elementary school and J. Sterling Morton High School as I did. She also trained as a comptometer operator at Felt and Tarrant as I did and had several jobs in the Chicago area after getting out of school. She worked for American Decalcamania Company, the Western Electric and Standard Oil and also did waiting on tables and was a hostess at Potters Stockade.

In 1947 she moved to Vandalia, Ohio and roomed with an elderly couple, Mr. & Mrs. Harry Jackson. She obtained a job at Harris Seybolt Company in Dayton and commuted to work each day by bus. She met her future husband, William Austin Howard, on the bus as he was a bus driver for Greyhound Lines. They were married in Christopher, Kentucky in the home of Bill's brother on August 4, 1948. During their marriage they lived in Dayton, Ohio, Hazard, Kentucky, Chicago, Illinois, Robbinsville and Charlotte, North Carolina, Vandalia and Ginghamsburg, Ohio.

Bill died of a heart attack on December 30, 1974 and is buried at Maple Hill Cemetery near Tipp City, Ohio.

Three daughters came of this union:

After moving back to Ohio in 1955, Mary worked for Leland Electric Company in Dayton and Vandalia. She left them because of a forced layoff and then had several other short term jobs before her medical retirement.

Upon her husband's death, Mary moved to an apartment in Vandalia, then Englewood, and then to 607 Nordale Ave., Apt #3 in Dayton to be closer to me as it was in the same building as I lived.

She suffered greatly with an acute arthritis condition in her lower back and hips causing much pain. Two major surgeries did not seem to relieve the condition. In 1986 she moved to Miamisburg, Ohio where her daughter and son-in-law, Pat and Greg Seals, built an addition to their house to give her accommodations.

She lived there until her death of a massive heart attack on August 31, 1989 at the age of 66.

Mary is buried alongside her husband, Bill, at Maple Hill Cemetery near Tipp City, Ohio.

Mary and Bill's first born was Linda Kay who came on October 6, 1949. She was born in Dayton, Ohio at Miami Valley Hospital. At age six she started first grade in the Vandalia Elementary School and after the family moved to the Tipp City school system she went to Broadway Elementary School and Tipp City Junior High and High Schools. She also attended one semester at Columbia Bible College in Columbia, South Carolina. For a short time Linda worked clerking for Kresge's dimestore, then at the Troy (Ohio) Daily News and at Hobart Bros. company in Troy. Later she was a regional director for Kinder Kare and now is employed by Dayton North Women's Center in Ginghamsburg, Ohio. She married Thomas Davis on September 11, 1970.

Patricia Ann, known to the family as Patsy, was born on November 7, 1950 at Swedish Covenant Hospital in Chicago. Her education was also at Broadway Elementary School in Tipp City, Tipp City Junior High and High School and then at Cedarville College in Cedarville, Ohio where she earned her B.A. degree in education. During two summer vacation periods she worked at Leland Airborne in Vandalia, Ohio while she was in High School, and during her college years she worked at Ken's Pharmacy in Vandalia earning her money for her college education. While in college she did student teaching and then got a job teaching full time at Sugar Grove Christian School and later at Dayton Christian School. She was married to Greg Seals on July 19, 1975 and moved with him to West Carrollton, Ohio and then they sold their house and built another in Miamisburg, Ohio. In 1978 Patsy and Greg adopted a little seven week old girl who they named Monica Lynn. She was born on July 24 and they got her on September 12. The following year on September 12, 1979 a little boy was born to them and they named him David Lee. After adopting Monica, Patsy quit her teaching job to stay at home and raise her family but has gone back to substitute teaching at Dayton Christian School once in a while. In the late fall of 1985 Patsy was found to be suffering from a brain tumor for which she was operated on, but has fully recovered.

Sherry Jean was born on July 22, 1954 in Charlotte, North Carolina. She was eight months old when the family moved back to Vandalia, Ohio. The Howard's moved in with our family for a couple of weeks until they could find a place of their own. During mealtimes Sherry was placed on a blanket on the floor beside the table, but she learned to scoot backwards and was often found across the room being stopped by the wall where she could go no farther. She attended the same schools as her sisters, Broadway Elementary, Tipp City Junior High, and Tipp City High School from which she graduated. She then went to Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio and while in school there met and married John Buk on September 8, 1975. After dropping out of college for a couple of years she went back and got her B.S. degree from Ohio State while also working for Huntington Banks in Columbus, Ohio. Sherry and John moved to St. Clairsville, Ohio where John was transferred to and then back to Columbus, Ohio again.

During the girls' growing up years, their Dad was often sick and in the hospital several times. When their Mother was busy taking care of Bill and going to the hospital to be with him, the little girls often were in my care at our house. Here they had their cousins to play with and often my boys would torment the girls by stringing their dolls up by the leg to the drape draw cords and run them up the windows so the girls couldn't reach them. They also liked to play having secrets, forming teams to keep secrets from the other team and each had to guess the other team's secret. One time their secret was that they had no secret and this was frustrating to the opposite players. All in all they had fun playing together.



My paternal grandparents were Martin Ludvik and Albina (nee Kipta). Both of them were born in Bohemia and came to the United States as young people and met and married in this country.

Martin was born on November 11, 1857 and died in 1927 at the age of 70.

Albina was born on February 2, 1859 and died in 1938 at the age of 79.

Grandpa and Grandma had a two story house on Avers Avenue in Chicago until about 1924 or 1925 when they sold it and bought a home at 3530 S. Home Avenue in Berwyn, Illinois. They had six children, three boys and three girls, who were all born in Chicago.

Anna was born in May 1884 and died in December of 1960 at the age of 76.

Joseph was born in 1886 and died of pneumonia in 1901 at the tender age of 15.

Edward (my Dad) was born on August 3, 1888 and died on July 18, 1957 at age 69.

Emma was born in 1893 and died in 1980 at the age of 87.

George was born on April 19, 1896 and died April 1, 1975 at age 79.

Mayme was born November 15, 1898 and died on May 21, 1984 at age 86.

Grandpa Martin Ludvik was a tailor by trade. He was a tall, thin man and wore a mustache. He always stood straight and carried himself in a sort of proud, military-like manner. One time when my folks still lived in the second floor flat above Grandpa and Grandma, my Mother was leaning over the back porch railing watching her father-in-law water his garden or lawn. To tease her he turned the hose up to squirt her, but of course the water came back down and soaked him instead as she ducked out of the way. The joke he intended for her turned on him instead.

My very earliest memories of Grandpa were going for walks with him when I was about three years old. The day my family moved to Berwyn I remember Grandpa going with Mother and me and baby Mary who was only eight weeks old on the street car and helping to carry packages that Mother was taking. We had to change from the city cars to a suburban street car in Cicero.

Grandpa died of a heart attack when I was only seven years old so I do not have too many memories of him and not much can be recollected of his funeral. He is buried at the Bohemian National Cemetery on Pulaski Road near North Avenue in Chicago as are most of the Ludvik family.

Grandma Albina was a small person and always seemed much older than her years to me. She was a quiet type, always wore long dresses down to her ankles. She had a problem with arthritis in her knees and therefore didn't get around too well in the years I knew her. As she could not walk very fast when anyone tried to hurry her she would always say in the Bohemian language, "Jiz litam, jiz litam" translated literally "Already I'm flying, already I'm flying".

After Grandpa's death, Grandma continued to live in the Home Avenue house with her daughter, Anna, and son, George, who were not married. George supported his mother and sister and Anna did the housework and Grandma helped as much as she was able in her old age. Grandma's job in the home usually was to dry the dishes and grind coffee beans. She would set the grinder on her lap and grind away to make fresh coffee grounds for each day.

We spent every Christmas Eve at Grandma's house and the traditional meal was roasted goose and a Bohemian dish called kuba which was made of boiled barley with chopped giblets. I did not like this dish. Then after the meal my Dad, being the oldest male, would crack a walnut for each member of the family. If the walnut meat came out in two perfect halves unbroken it meant that that person would have a good year to come. If the walnut meats came out in broken pieces, misfortune would be theirs.

Grandma died of a heart attack and old age in 1938 and is also buried in the Bohemian National Cemetery next to Grandpa.

My maternal grandparents were Vincent Hloucal and Mary (nee Karnold). Both were born in Bohemia and came to the United States as young people and met and married in this country.

Vincent was born on May 10, 1852 and died April 10, 1928 at the age of 76. He was born in Budejovice, Bohemia.

Mary was born on November 16, 1862 and died August 9, 1934 at age 72. She was born in Pilsen, Bohemia.

This couple had seven children five girls and two boys.

- Emma, born January 8, 1888 and died January 30, 1940 at age 52.

- Mary (my mother) was born on December 8, 1890 and died on October 8, 1944 just two months short of her 54th birthday.

- John was born on February 8, 1892 and died February 25, 1958 at age 66.

- William was born May 13, 1896 and died February 28, 1954 at age 62.

- Bessie was born August 29, 1898 and died March 14, 1990 at age 91.

- Tillie was born December 31, 1899 and died August 1, 1952 at age 53.

- Rose was born February 23, 1903 and died July 30, 1977 at age 74.

Not much is known to me of Grandpa Vincent's family, however there are some Hloucals in or around Ellsworth, Kansas who are the offspring of a brother. Grandpa was a rather short man, had gray hair and a gray mustache, wore glasses and was somewhat round-shouldered. He was a cabinet maker by trade.

After the 1893 World's Fair in Chicago, known as World's Columbian Exposition, times became hard, work was scarce and jobs hard to find so many people went elsewhere to make a living. A group from a Czech, or Bohemian, neighborhood found they could get land in central Wisconsin to homestead on if they would cultivate it and make it productive. The Hloucal family with their five children, ages 10 years to 8 weeks old, packed up all their belongings and moved to Rocky Ridge, Wisconsin in 1898. It was for the most part forest and soil was very poor with many rocks and boulders which had to be removed so the land could be cultivated for crops to be planted. Trees had to be felled and these were used to build cabins and barns or sheds. The Hloucal family was among the first to go to this new place with several other men coming to start the building project before they sent for their families. In the meantime, Grandma cooked for all the men. Grandpa then got a job in a lumber camp where he could make a living for his family. Going to the camp each week he had to walk a long way through the woods and stayed there until the end of the week before walking home again. Since it would get dark while he was on his way home, when Grandma thought it was about time for him to be nearing home she would step out doors, wave a lantern, and call out "Hoo, hoo" loudly to guide him to the cabin. When he was close enough to hear her he would call back to signal that he heard her and could see her light and thus was guided home.

After most of their children left home and Grandpa was ready to retire from farming and lumbering, they sold the farm and bought a house in Mosinee, a paper making town in central Wisconsin. Some distance behind the Mosinee house there was a wild blueberry patch and Grandpa would take me with him to pick the blueberries on some of our visits to their house. Alongside of their house they had a large garden and a potato patch. On one such visit, when Mary was quite small, she was discovered in this potato patch with a mouthful of mud. Even in her grown up years she liked the smell of wet earth and was teased about her eating it as a small child.

In the early part of 1928 Grandpa had walked up town and it still being winter in Wisconsin there was ice and snow on the ground. He slipped and fell in front of the hardware store and broke his hip. It was not customary in the 1920's to be taken to a hospital for such an accident so he was nursed at home as best they could and the hip seemed to heal, but he contracted pneumonia from lying in bed for a long time and died in April.

At this time I was in the second grade of school and can remember when I came home for lunch that day that Mother had received a telegram informing her of her father's death. She wrote a note to my teacher telling her I would not be in school for several days as we were going to Wisconsin for Grandpa's funeral. I took the note back to school and had to find my teacher in the teachers' lounge having her lunch. Although this was a sad occasion I sort of felt important on such an errand. Mother, Mary and I went up to Mosinee on the train. In her sadness and confusion, in packing clothes for the trip Mother forgot to pack any for me so all I had along was what I was wearing. I don't remember the outcome but suppose some things had to be purchased for me there.

Grandpa was buried in the Mosinee Cemetery.

Grandma Mary came from quite a large family having four brothers and three sisters of which all but one immigrated to the United States. She was a large woman and quite tall. She was a typical farm wife in her younger years, tending chores on the farm and working in the garden and in the fields while Grandpa worked in the lumber camps. She saw to it that her children were fed and

clothed. Life on the farm in Rocky Ridge was hard and she worked hard at eking out a living for her family. She continued to live in Mosinee for a few years after Grandpa's death but then moved to Berwyn, Illinois to live with her daughters, Tillie and Rose. They lived in about three different homes in Berwyn and then moved to Cicero where she died of breast cancer. She refused surgery and suffered severely as the disease took toll of her body.

Before she took sick and was still able to do the housework and cooking, I would stop at her house each day after school to see what she wanted from the grocery store and butcher shop. Very often her standard order was "Dvacet centu hovezi na polivku". English translation is "Twenty cents worth of beef for soup". I can never forget this phrase in the Bohemian language and I missed this errand after she took sick and died and I could no longer serve her in this way. In the early 30's, twenty cents bought quite a good size piece of beef.

After her passing away her body was taken to Mosinee to be buried alongside of Grandpa in the Mosinee Cemetery.



My mother had four sisters (Emma, Bessie, Tillie and Rose) and two brothers (William and John).

Aunt Emma was the oldest of the Hloucal children. She was born in Chicago on January 8, 1888. As there was no school in the new place where the Hloucal family settled in Wisconsin until after there were enough families there to merit hiring a teacher, she was deprived of formal schooling for a couple of years. It is not known how much schooling she actually had but it certainly could not have been very much. In her late teen years she went back to Chicago and worked as a housemaid until her marriage to James Fritz who was a linotype operator. Her death came about with a very sudden heart attack while she was on her way home from grocery shopping, carrying her shopping bag (she always carried a shopping bag). She collapsed on the sidewalk and some neighbors saw her and called for help but she could not be revived. It was a Saturday morning and her husband was at work at the time. He, being a rather cold, unfriendly man, came to tell my Mother breaking the news with a simple statement, "Emma is dead". This was very shocking to my Mother and the other members of the family. After her passing, Jim Fritz lived a short while in their house in Berwyn, Illinois, and then moved to a store building in Downers Grove, Illinois where he had a sort of "flea market" finding discards in alleys or wherever he could find items that he could sell. He lived a very frugal life and according to his will he left his money to the Retired Printers Home and Union and some to Social Security because he said they took good care of him. He had one sister but left her only $5.00.

Uncle John (born February 8, 1892) moved to Milwaukee when he left his parents' home where he worked as a mechanic in a garage. He met and married Elizabeth Feddeck there and they had a daughter, Gloria, and a son, Vernon. This family estranged themselves from the rest of the clan and there is no contact with them any longer. Uncle John died and we were given to understand that his wife is also dead and they are buried at some cemetery in Milwaukee.

Uncle Bill (born May 13, 1896) was the only one who did not leave Mosinee. He worked for the Mosinee Paper Mill in their Power Plant for many years. He also had a very good friend who was the undertaker in Mosinee and Uncle Bill sometimes helped him go get people who died and also helped dig some graves. He married Freda Wagner, a school teacher, and they had one son, Robert. A story is told that once when Uncle Bill was at work and his sister, Rose, was at his house, a friend who Rose knew but Freda didn't came to the house to deliver a message for Rose. When the knock came at the door, Freda, thinking it was Bill and to tease him, grabbed a shot gun and pointing it at the door called out "Come in". When the friend opened the door he found a shot gun aimed at him. Being strangers to each other it was a very embarrassing and amusing situation for both of them.

Aunt Bessie was born August 29, 1898. She, too, worked as a housemaid in Chicago before her marriage to William Boyd Potter on January 20, 1923. He was a plumber by trade. The Potters had three sons, Charles Boyd, who died at age 27 after a very short illness of polio, Richard Owen and William Eugene. The Potters had five grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. During the lean years of their life when plumbing was at a minimum, Bill built two hot dog stands and it was the start of the opportunity to opening a restaurant later. The stands were on wheels and were towed behind their car out to well traveled corners where a going business was done selling hot dogs, hot tamales and pop. I also worked at those stands one summer during my high school days. Later a very fine restaurant which was called the Stockade was opened at the corner of Lincoln and Foster Avenues in Chicago and owned and operated by the Potters for many years before they moved to St. Petersburg, Florida where they had a small grill and called it the Sun City Grill. They also had a large home there and rented some rooms to tourists. The Sun City Grill was sold before Bill died but the tourist home was still kept going for several years. Aunt Bessie's sister, Rose, lived with them in Florida and helped at the grill and in the home. Aunt Bessie also took several jobs looking after people in nursing homes and as a companion to elderly people in their own homes for some time. In her later years she was urged by her daughter-in-law, Ruth, and granddaughter, Arlene, to move to Ironwood in Upper Michigan so they could look after her welfare more closely. She made the move after selling her house in Florida in 1979 and had her own apartment in Ironwood for a time until it was deemed necessary for her to have nursing home care and then she resided at Hautamaki's Rest Home until she fell and broke her hip and had to be hospitalized. She died of a stroke on March 14, 1990 at the age of 91.

Aunt Tillie was born on December 31, 1899 in Wisconsin. She was the last of the Hloucal children to leave their home in Mosinee. While living at home she had a job clerking in the hardware store. When she left Mosinee she lived at my parents' home for a time and since she was experienced in the hardware business my Dad hired her to manage his store in Berwyn. The store was in business from 1926 to 1929. After that Aunt Tillie had numerous jobs working as a pleater for several dry cleaners. She and my Aunt Rose lived together in several different apartments in Berwyn, Cicero and Chicago before she died. At one time Tillie and Rose bought a small Plymouth car and called it Sadie. Tillie learned to drive it, but her driving was very poor and everyone feared riding with her as she seemed to have very poor judgement of distance. At one time while trying to back out of a driveway she got the car so twisted around that she couldn't get it straightened out to back out and had to call for help. Aunt Tillie did a lot of fancy work both embroidery and crocheting and enjoyed doing it. She never married and in fact was very shy of men. A salesman who came to the hardware store asked her to go out riding with him one Sunday afternoon and she accepted but asked my Mother to go along. She passed away August 1, 1952 at the age of 53 after an illness of many months of cancer of her lower organs and her body was taken back to be buried in the cemetery in Mosinee, Wisconsin.

Aunt Rose was the youngest of the Hloucal children. She was born on February 23, 1903. After leaving her parents' home in Wisconsin she came to the Chicago area to find employment. She never married. In her lifetime she worked at many various jobs and at one time was a file clerk at the Western Electric Company in Cicero, Illinois. She also was a presser for dry cleaning establishments and waited tables at the Potter's Stockade restaurant in Chicago for a time. After moving to St. Petersburg, Florida, she worked in nursing homes and as a companion for elderly people. Rose also worked with the Potters in their grill, cooking, preparing food, waiting tables and doing whatever else there had to be done. While living in Chicago one of her jobs was with Stop and Shop where she did some office work and also helped behind the confectionery counter in the store. Here she had the opportunity to satisfy her love of chocolate candy. In her late years she had a severe case of diabetes, however it is not known whether eating so many sweets was a contributing factor. In her very early teens her brothers taught her to drive their car which was most likely a Model T Ford. Later when she and her sister, Tillie, owned their little Plymouth which they called Sadie she got much pleasure in driving and took many people on driving expeditions to picnics, outings, etc. She later had very high blood pressure and together with other complications was sick for several years. She died on July 30, 1977 and was buried in a cemetery in St. Petersburg, Florida.



My father had three sisters (Anna, Emma, and Mayme) and two brothers (Joseph and George).

Aunt Anna was the oldest of the family. She was born on May 12, 1884 in Chicago. She was a tall woman and when I would complain about my being tall she would try to pacify me and say "That's OK, Gladys, you and I belong to the higher class of people." I never knew her to work outside the home but when she was a teenager Grandpa took sick and couldn't work for awhile so she and my Dad had to quit school and go to work to make a living for the family. I believe she worked in some sort of factory. In later years after Grandpa died and Grandma was getting old and couldn't do much housework, Anna did all the housekeeping, cooking, washing clothes, ironing, etc. She never married and just took care of the home, her mother, and her brother George who also was a bachelor and supported them. She died at the age of 76 in December 1960 and was buried in the family plot at Bohemian National Cemetery in Chicago.

Uncle Joseph was born in 1886 and only lived to be 15 years old. He contracted pneumonia and died after only a short illness. He, too, is buried in the family plot.

Aunt Emma was born in 1893. She was married to Joseph Pokorny and they lived just two streets over from my grandparents in Berwyn. She loved to play the piano and her husband would play a harmonica and tambourine and we had some nice times with music at their house. For about a year my sister and I took piano lessons from Aunt Emma but she wasn't a very good teacher and we really didn't learn a lot from her. At one time Emma had a mental problem and was treated in a hospital for it. In their later years this couple moved to Phoenix, Arizona and lived there for quite a few years. There were no children born to this union. Emma died in 1980 at the age of 87 and is also buried in the family plot.

Uncle George was born on April 19, 1896 also in Chicago. He remained single until after his sister Anna's death as he felt obligated to support her as long as she lived and felt she would not have tolerated another woman in her house. He married a widow with whom we think he kept company for several years, always making the excuse that he was going bowling with some friends. He did like this sport so he used this as a reason for going out. After Anna died when George was in his mid-sixties he married but did not tell the family. My daughter, Donna, was visiting in the Chicago area and thought she'd telephone her great uncle. When a woman answered the phone Donna asked who she was and was told: "Mrs. George Ludvik". Quite a surprise for the rest of the family. Uncle George served in the Army in World War I but was not sent overseas and never saw any action. He worked as a mechanic on refrigerator trucks for many years until his retirement. He sold the home that he had lived in with his sister Anna and bought an apartment in Berwyn and lived there until his death. He died on April 1, 1975 at age 79 and is buried in the family plot in Chicago.

Aunt Mayme was the youngest of the Ludvik children. She was born on November I S. 1898 in Chicago. She married Joseph Holub who was a farmer in Iowa and after their wedding she moved to the farm near Traer, Iowa. Being a city girl she had a lot to learn about farming but soon helped with all the chores that had to be done, learned to milk cows, raise chickens, plant a garden, and do all the canning and preserving of the food that was raised. She drove the tractor and other farm machinery and learned to drive their car as it was necessary for their transportation. Two children were born to them, Violet and Norman. The original farm was sold and several new farms were purchased in the nearby area to expand their operation. Aunt Mayme died after a short illness on May 21s 1984 at age 86 and is buried in the Traer, Iowa cemetery.



I had only two cousins on my father's side.

Violet Marie Holub was born on May 24s 1921 s She was the daughter of Joseph and Mayme (nee Ludvik) Holub. At the age of 12 she was found to have a very severe case of diabetes but lived for another 10 years. She married Robert Wallen on July 24, 1944 and after an acute case of appendicitis she died while being operated on, on November 18, 1944 being married only four months. She is buried in the Traer, Iowa cemetery.

Norman Joseph Holub, son of Joseph and Mayme (nee Ludvik) Holub, was born on June 4, 1931. He inherited the farm which his parents had and has added to it and improved it where it is now a very large operation. The Holub farm is located 15 miles south of Waterloo, Iowa. Their main crops are corn, soy beans and wheat and they raise black angus cattle. Norman's hobby is collecting old gasoline pumps and antique farm machinery. Norman married Wilma Sears on February 14, 1952. Their son Craig is not married and operates the farm with Norman. Their daughter Norma Jolene is married to Bryan Neubauer and they live in Waterloo, Iowa with their two children, Ashley Brianna and Nicole Arianna.



I had six cousins on my mother's side.

Two children were born to John and Elizabeth Hloucal. Vernon was born on February 2, 1933. He and his sister, Gloria, born May 15, 1939, live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. All contact has been lost with this family and nothing is known of them.

William and Freda Hloucal had one son, Robert Wagner. He was born on September 1, 1926. He was married to Dolores Behnke on August 28, 1954. They had three daughters, one named Bonnie who died an infant, and Connie and Lorie who live somewhere in Wisconsin. Bob was a disc jockey for a radio station and to get a better job he moved his family from Wisconsin to Columbus, Ohio where he worked for a large radio station. Marital problems and depression took hold of his life and he ended his life by his own hand on July 14, 1964.

William and Bessie (nee Hloucal) Potter had three sons. Charles Boyd was born on October 22, 1925. He served in World War II in the Navy. After coming home from service he married Ruth Martinson on May 14, 1949 and one daughter, Arlene, was born to this union. Charles contracted polio and after only a very short illness died on September 22, 1952. He is buried at Memorial Park Cemetery in Evanston, Illinois. His widow and daughter moved from Chicago to Upper Michigan after his death. Arlene married Jerry Wanink on June 2, 1972 and they have two children, Daniel and Elizabeth.

Richard Owen was born to William and Bessie (nee Hloucal) Potter on May 14, 1928. He is married to Joyce Funk since July 18, 1958 and has two stepdaughters, Barbara and Marilyn. He and Joyce live in Melrose Park, Illinois where he works for a trucking firm.

William Eugene was born to William and Bessie (nee Hloucal) Potter on May 5, 1930. He married Marguerite (Peggy) Scripps on July 10, 1954 and they have two children. Their first child, a daughter named Lynnette, died at the early age of 18 months as the result of a drowning. The two living children are David and Jana. The Potters live in Grand Rapids, Michigan where Bill is in the real estate business.


Genealogy Home

August 25, 1998   e-mail to Harlan Hardie